Lore put a very long blue post up on the forums saying the devs have been listening to the feedback about how painful getting Azerite armor is through M+ and they want to try to fix it in 8.1. At the same time, it should help solve the RNG shitstorm that comes with trying to make sure you can farm specific Azerite traits as not all traits are created equal.
After reading through it, and the gushing ‘ty’ posts immediately after it, it’s pretty clear the majority of readers went the TLDR route and missed some important points that make this seemingly nice change, not so great.
The post from Lore is long, so I’m going to try to bring it back down to size and combine a few paragraphs. Ignore the ilvls mentioned, this is a change coming in 8.1, and it was clarified the ilvls would reflect the new higher ilvls in 8.1; the current ones just give a better comparison at the moment.
- A new ‘un-named” currency will be implemented which is obtainable as a one off drop from the M+ cache you open once a week. The amount from the cache scales, so if you did a 10, your weekly cache has more than your cache if you did a 7
- You can also scrap Azerite pieces to give the new currency, the amount you receive based on the ilvl of the piece you scrapped
- Azerite armor no longer can drop from the mythic+ weekly cache at all
So it was already hard to get Azerite armor from Mythic+ dgns as it didn’t drop from the chest at the end and you had a only had a once a week chance to get it from the weekly cache. This new system removes that chance altogether and puts it behind currency, which knowing Blizzard is going to be time gated too. More on that below.
And the big point I took away from this is.. where is the incentive to trade unwanted Azerite armor pieces to people who really need them, post 8.1? Azerite armor just became immensely invaluable even if you can’t use it. It’s going to take a very generous person to want to hand over a piece of gear to someone who really needs it, because scrapping it instead will get them closer to their next piece. Why even make Azerite gear tradeable if they now want you to hoard it?
- Thaumaturge Vashreen will be back to let you spend your currency in one of 2 ways. You can spend it on a random dgn Azerite piece in a box (ilvl 335, 370 and 385). The higher ilvl boxes will cost more currency. To allow targeting, he will also sell specific 385 versions at a premium.
- The timing is that you should have enough currency to buy a piece of gear that lines up with the ilvl of the dgn gear you’re currently doing, every 2 or 3 weeks and the 385 pieces are for long term goals for top players.
The higher ilvl costing more isn’t an issue as they’ve mentioned you’ll get more if you do higher content so this helps keep the ilvl pieces in line with what you’re upgrade I guess. What I really have the issue with is it’s only the 385 pieces that will be specifically targetable.
Why are the targetable pieces only for the highest ilvl of the high at extra inflated prices? So if you’re not running the highest content, you’re not considered a worthy candidate to be trusted to select your own piece. As a ‘punishment’ for not doing the highest content, you can stick with RNG.
The noting of expected timings that they think you should be getting a piece in is also interesting. Dgn pieces of Azerite armor are hard to come by already as you only had a once a week possibility to get them from your weekly cache and now under this new system, that weekly chance is completely gone as they no longer drop and you now have a 2-3 weekly chance if you gather enough currency.
Which leads me to wonder, is that 2-3 weekly chance just from opening your cache or are you now going to be spending time running all sources of azerite armor drops in order to be able to scrap it for currency?
- Overall, we believe that this change will improve things in a lot of different ways: Mythic+ players of all skill levels will now have a clear path to upgrading their Azerite slots and High-end Mythic+ players will have a way to target specific Azerite pieces to optimize their setups
Holy elitist batman, it’s right back to, only the best of the best really need or want to target because everyone else will be fine with the RNG loot fest that is so prevalent in WoW nowadays.
I don’t think I get the direction this game is going in at all. It has become a RNG fest on top of a RNG fest and 8.0 for a non raider is an empty shell of an expansion with ‘improvements’ with holes that even a more casual player can pick apart. I’m starting to feel that the team that is working on WoW really have lost touch with what used to make it great, or maybe it’s me that’s changed.